Training for Adventure
Sir Winston Churchill said, “To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”
Training is critical for all walks of life. Training for adventure is no different.
There are 3 categories of adventures I want to help you prepare for. They each require specific training and framework to get a seat at the table.
- Casual adventures
- Crucial adventures
- Epic adventures
Casual adventures are the daily quick escapes during the day. Some examples may be a hike to the grocery store, identifying plants or birds on a walk, or trying new cuisine. Casual adventures are about spontaneity, being in the moment, and breaking the friction of daily routines. One simple way of training for these types of adventures is to make spontaneous decisions to do something out of the ordinary. This adventure is the training. Make a decision to view the break of routine through the lens of adventure.
I remember when my 3 kids were young I needed to get the 5 bags of salt for our water softener system. Each bag weighed 40 lbs., If you are doing the math that is 200 lbs of salt. I decided to get my rucksack and the wagon I’d push my kids in and hike with the kids a mile away to the grocery store. I loaded to 2 bags in my ruck (80 lbs), plus the other 3 bags in the wagon (120 lbs). Let me just say that was quite the hike on the way home but the kids enjoyed the adventure as did I. It was difficult moving the wagon with that much weight and also the 80 lbs on my back. I had never done that but as a result, I grew from it. We began taking more trips to the grocery store which was 2 miles round trip. My kids at the time were 3, 6, and 9 years old.
Crucial adventures are those pivotal adventures that change the direction of your life. Sometimes they are planned, sometimes they are thrust upon you. The key is to begin training now. These adventures require a little more physical and mental preparation.
- Get in physical fitness shape. That means start mastering your bodyweight strength like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and lunges. If you can’t move your body, you limit the adventures you can do.
- Get cardio in. Cardio is the engine that keeps you going. Put in the work and this will allow you to perform activities without huffing and puffing.
- Begin putting yourself in uncomfortable situations. Try things you aren’t trained for, get in positions that put you at a disadvantage, and try and get out.
- Build a crew of family and friends that you can push and support each other.
Crucial adventures create milestone moments so get to training and watch your life transform.
Finally, we have Epic adventures. They are the most complicated and require planning and training to successfully complete them. Because of the scale of these adventures, they are often self-imposed. unlike the crucial adventures that can be thrust upon you. Here are 6 ways you can train for these.
- Physical fitness is paramount. Without your fitness you are limited.
- Do hard stuff. Lift weights so it burns, go on long rucks, do overnight hikes or runs, etc…
- Create situations where you get to plan out logistics either at home or at work.
- Get crystal clear on your goals and vision for your life. These will often guide the epic adventures that call to you.
- Practice precision under tension. Imagine being in an ice tub solving math problems or memorizing a poem. The clearer your mind can process during duress the more prepared you will be for the curve balls those epic adventures bring.
- Pray and have a relationship with God. I know for some this doesn’t seem to match but when life becomes about something greater than yourself it allows you to stretch yourself greater than you ever thought possible.
Adventure is a part of a growth-minded life. Adventure feeds the soul. Adventure helps peel away the layers that are covering your truest self. Start training today and enjoy the journey.